Great Battles for Boys: The Civil War (Paperback)
Email or call for price.
Great Battles for Boys is the bestselling history series that sends young readers "into the fight." Boys learn about military leaders, weapons, and strategies that won--or lost--history's most important battles.
The American Civil War
More Americans died in this war than all other wars combined--more than 600,000 soldiers. But what REALLY happened?
From the first shots fired at Fort Sumter to the South's surrender at Appomattox, young readers move chronologically through 20 crucial battles that cover all four years of the Civil War. Boys will learn about the leaders, strategies, tactics, and weapons that earned victory--or suffered defeat.
- Battle of the Ironclads: One of America's deadliest naval battles, right off the coast of Virginia
- Vicksburg: Ulysses S. Grant bombs, terrorizes, and starves a southern city into surrender.
- Antietam: Robert E. Lee invades the North, and pays a terrible price
- Petersburg: The North literally blows a hole in the South--and still loses the battle.
- Why was Robert E. Lee considered a military genius, even after he lost the war?
- What made Ulysses S. Grant such a powerful general--and a difficult man?
- Sherman's March--who, what, when, where, and why.
Reviews of the Great Battles for Boys series
"This book should be in school libraries everywhere. It is a treasure trove of information that is engagingly written that makes one feel they are in a great classroom with a great instructor sharing his knowledge in a fun way." -- 5 Stars, Top 10 Amazon Reviewer
"My nine-year-old son absolutely love this book Full of great facts and enjoyable to read He finished it in two nights and was asking for another " 5 Stars Richard Dodson