Please join the Newtown Bookshop as we welcome Lew Bryson on March 19th at 7:00pm! Lew will be here to talk about his new book, "Whiskey Master Class: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, and More", to answer questions and share a taste of whiskey! All are invited to join us!
Please order Lew's books below
ABOUT THE BOOK
Over the past three decades, Lew Bryson has been one of the most influential voices in whiskey--a longtime editor of Whisky Advocate and author of the definitive guide Tasting Whiskey. In this book, Lew shares everything he's learned on his journey through the worlds of bourbon, Scotch, rye, Japanese whiskey, and more (yes, there are tasty Canadian and Irish whiskeys as well!). In this book, you'll find it all:
- An overview of the different types of whiskeys, including the rules and identities of each. He also includes information on craft whiskeys, which tend to be more creative and freewheeling than the styles made by traditional producers.
- Exploration of the key whiskey ingredients, with a close look at the flavor contributions of malt, peat, corn, rye, wheat--even water matters.
- Distillation for non-distillers and the beauty of barrels: Whiskey is both an art and a science, and what's in the glass is affected by things like pot stills vs. column stills, barrel char, and of course, time.
- Numerous interviews with master distillers, still makers, and other artisans at the top of their field.
- Tasting notes throughout so you can identify the whiskeys you might want to try next.
Every chapter contains a variety of unique, often behind-the-scenes photography. And with whiskey as the subject, this is a class where you'll want to do the homework!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lew Bryson has been writing about beer and spirits full-time since 1995. He was the managing editor of Whisky Advocate from 1996 through 2015. He is currently a Senior Drinks Writer for the Daily Beast, and also writes regularly for Artisan Spirit and Bourbon+, and has a beer and whiskey blog, Seen Through A Glass.
Bryson is the author of Tasting Whiskey (Storey Publishing, 2014), a broad survey of the whiskeys of the world, their history and manufacture; and Whiskey Master Class (Harvard Common Press, 2020), a deep dive on all aspects of whiskey flavor creation. He has also written four regional brewery guidebooks. He was selected as the 2008 winner of the Michael Jackson Beer Journalism Award (Trade and Specialty Beer Media). He has served as a judge for both the American Craft Spirits Association and the Great American Beer Festival.
Lew Bryson lives north of Philadelphia with his wife Cathy, and Pippin, a feisty Welsh Corgi.
Go beyond the glass and discover the secrets behind your favorite style of whiskey.
Over the past three decades, Lew Bryson has been one of the most influential voices in whiskey—a longtime editor of Whisky Advocate and author of the definitive guide Tasting Whiskey.